A perpetual favorite at birthday parties and festivals, face paint is a fun way for kids to show creativity and self-expression. Here are a few simple steps to make your own face paint at home, a perfect activity for a rainy spring day.
You will need:
- Several small containers (depends on how many colors you want to make)
- 1 tsp cornstarch per container
- ½ tsp cold cream like Noxzema or Ponds per container (body lotion also works but takes much longer to dry)
- ½-1 tsp water per container
- Non-toxic, washable paint
- Paint brushes or old make-up brushes
First, take a few moments to whip up the cold cream, as it can be rather stiff out of the jar.
Next, in each of your small containers, mix up the cold cream and corn starch until it is smooth. Add the ½ tsp of water. Add more water depending how well it is all blending together. Make sure the mixture is blended to a state where it won’t drip.
Add just a dab of the non-toxic, washable paint. Many paints say “not for use on the body”, but the ingredients are diluted enough to not be harmful in any way.
Mix up all your colors and grab some of your children’s paintbrushes or old make-up brushes.
Paint a design on their face, or let your kids go at it. Like with any kind of paint, be sure to keep out of eyes and mouth. Because of the cornstarch, the paint dries quickly and fades out to light pastel colors. If you use body lotion, be mindful that faces will dry much slower.
Clean up is very easy. Baby wipes work best!